It’s finally finished! I started this Pastille dress back in October. It’s from The Colette Sewing Handbook and I’m having fun making the clothes in the order of the book. I’ve already made the first pattern, the Meringue skirt here. This is the book:
The Pastille dress is on the front cover.
I started by making a mock-up from an old pair of IKEA curtains and I’m really glad I did. I made up the dress based on my waist measurements and it turned out HUGE. I decided to remake the bodice part a good two sizes smaller and tried again. This time it fitted really nicely round the bust but was too tight around the waist. I was losing the will to live and I shelved the project at this point. After a couple of months my mother-in-law gave me some advice on how to proceed. She suggested that I reduce the width of the darts at the waist. This seemed to do the trick.
I finally cut into my fabric (a royal blue linen-look cotton that I got from Minerva crafts)a few weeks ago and everything was going well until I tried it on. It was too billowy on the top, particularly at the back. Mother-in-law to the rescue again. Rather than faff about unpicking the zip she suggested to extend the darts up the back. This did improve things but I must admit it is still a little loose up top.
Bryn photo-bombing me.
It should have been a concealed zip but I don’t have the right foot for my sewing machine for that so I made do with an ordinary zip.
I thought this dress was worthy of one of the labels I got for Christmas from my sister-in-law!
I’m quite pleased with my new dress. It’s nice and cool so should be great if we get more hot weather. Hopefully it won’t be too long until my next post because I have a couple of projects that I have so nearly finished!