My UFOs were not really inspiring me so I was a bit naughty and went and started (and finished so that’s OK) a new project. This is the Cap-Sleeved Baby Doll Top from Simple Modern Sewing. It is the one on the front cover.
I was given this book for my birthday back in October and after a lot of agonising decided to sew the very first project in it. The first nightmare was deciphering the patterns.
There are two patterns on each side of the paper, each with several variations, so trying to work out what I was supposed to be tracing was tricky. I was very unsure on how this was going to turn out so i didn’t want to spend any money on it. I turned to my very tiny stash (I’m new to sewing so haven’t really built up much fabric) and found a blue and white floral number that would do nicely. I had nowhere near as much as the pattern suggested I needed but I was convinced I could get this top out of it. And I was right – but only just. I have never completed a project with so little fabric left over!
There were a few new skills. I had to add my own seam allowance for a start. I then made, and attached, my own bias binding. This was with limited success. Thankfully the print is really busy so you would only be able to see my very dodgy sewing if you looked very closely. Still, I think I know how I’d tackle it next time.
Overall I’m quite happy with this top. I think I’ll get a lot of wear out of it as it looks good with a pair of jeans. I will definitely be making it again!