Pallet projects – everyone is doing them and I was feeling a bit left out. So after a bit of badgering my mate Damian got me a pallet from work (Stuart’s Foods – for all your fruit and veg needs!). As usual I have forgotten to take any ‘in construction’ pictures but it isn’t very complicated.
I found out the same as everyone else that the hardest part of a pallet project is breaking the thing apart. I used a combination of claw hammer, screwdriver and swearing, which seemed to work. In the end I only used the top planks from the pallet that were in the best condition. You will see that Damian managed to get me a nice pink pallet that gives the final product a good colour.
Anyway, inspired by this pallet shelf on Woodworking for Mere-mortals I set out to make a Lego mini-figure display stand. Despite thinking I was making it quite large there still isn’t enough room to fit all the kid’s figures on there.
The basic construction was the same as the mere-mortals’ one except that I made the shelves go across the full width and the used my router to make a groove about a centimetre back from the front edge of each shelf. The groove is just the right size to fit a one stud wide Lego plate.
With a bit of experimenting I worked out that if I bought 6×1 plates then seven of them would fit exactly the width of a shelf. I used Brick Owl (a brilliant website for getting specific Lego pieces) to find a seller with 21 plates (and I may have bought a couple of extra minifigs as well). The plates are stuck in place with hot melt glue.
Final step, I made the sign for the top. I fancy having a go at pyrography but without the proper tool I just used my soldering iron to burn the logo into the wood. From a distance it looks OK.
I hope you like it. Please don’t tell me that in the picture I have got the wrong legs on a particular body or something. This is Lego that gets played with by children. Just need to work out where to put it now…