Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2016 has got off to a great start. 2015 was a very good year for me sewing wise. This time last year I made the following ‘resolutions’. Lets see how I got on!..
1. THE most important make of the year is a bridesmaid (OK, matron of honour but that makes me sound old) dress. I’m very lucky to be asked and I’ve got to make it myself! The color will (probably) be gold and I can choose the pattern! Exciting!
2. Cover my dining room chairs. They were bought second hand along with a table. The table is great but the chairs are in a terrible condition. I’ve bought the fabric already and have made a start on a mock up.
Zzzzzz. Yes, I achieved this but it was soooo boring. And I couldn’t be bothered to blog it either because I thought it might bore you too. However, it’s done and they look great! Three chairs are covered in this grey fabric with white roses, and the other three are covered in the reverse – white fabric with grey roses.
3. Knit something! I’ve got the wool for a pair of socks. I’ve made socks before but I stupidly didn’t buy enough to make a pair so I have odd knitted socks! They’re so warm though so want to do it properly this time.
Erm… well I have knitted something. I just haven’t finished!
This is what my sock looks like right now. Yes, I’m still on the first one. However, on a positive, I’ve done more knitting in the last month than I have in the previous 11. Hopefully it won’t be another year before they are finished!
4. Make my husband another shirt out of some sensible material that he would be willing to wear any day. Buoyed by the success the first shirt I’ve ever made (here) I want to have another go.
So a pretty good year in terms of resolutions. Just having a quick count up of my makes….
8 x bags (only one for me!), 5 x tops, 2 x wall panels, 2 x leggings/cycling shorts, 1 x shirt, 2 x skirts, 1 x hat, 2 x toys, 1 x pair of knickers, and the biggest surprise for me, 6 x dresses. I rarely wore dresses but I’m starting to get adventurous. The dresses I’ve worn lots are particularly my in a twist dress and my Bardot dress from Simple Sews.
This year I don’t have any deadlines but I do have a few vague ideas. Just the five goals for 2016 then….
- Make some proper trousers! I’ve made trousers with an elasticated waist, and now leggings, but not proper trousers.
- After I’ve made trousers, I would like to progress to jeans. This may be towards the end of the year!
- Participate more in the Monthly Stitch challenges. I really like the idea of them and I would like to be more proactive.
- Like many other bloggers I would like to make inroads in reducing my stash. I will still buy fabric (Dewsbury here I come!) but I really need to start using what I’ve got before it starts taking over my entire house!
- Knit something! But I have to finish my socks first. I’m going to try something a little bigger, like a jumper or cardigan.
A few do-able goals don’t you think? Bring on 2016!