Yes, yes I know. I thought I’d better get this written now before July gets here. April’s Sew My Style pattern was the Marigold Jumpsuit by Tilly and the Buttons. That really wasn’t my cup of tea so I gave it a miss. I made up for it by sewing purely Tilly and the Buttons patterns for April (except for my April Simple Sew make that is).
I started by making a Coco top (my fourth) from the fabric left over from my little red dress project. I had to tessellate the heck out of it to make it fit. The fabric is a heavy, but drapey jersey. I made the funnel-neck version which I think was a mistake as the fabric can’t really hold its shape very well. I do like it though and I’ve worn it plenty of times.
I also bought Tilly’s stretch book during April and I set to work almost straight away (leap frogging a whole load of other projects) making the projects. I started with the first project in the book – the Bibi skirt. I made this skirt because it was the easiest project in the book and took very little fabric. Being a tight-fitting jersey skirt, I wasn’t expecting it to look that good on me and I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well it did look! I had some left over ponte (I’m all about the left overs) from this project and managed to squeeze this very simple skirt out of it.
There are various versions of the Bibi in the book. I went for the version with the side split and the button tabs. It’s very easy to make it look very smart for work and a bonus is that it doesn’t need ironing!
April is also my daughter’s birthday month. I thought I’d make the second project from the Stretch book for her birthday. This is the Frankie Baseball Tee.
It’s a size 3 so too small for me but one day I’ll make it in my size. The fabric is fab! It’s been in my stash for a while. I bought it from Sew Over It nearly two years ago and, as expected, it’s no longer in stock (I checked)! The blue sleeves came from some scraps of jersey from Girl Charlee. Never throw any fabric away – you never know when you’ll need it!
Finally I made a Tilly pattern that is on my make nine list – the Arielle skirt.
The fabric is a bit green! I’m not too sure about it to be honest but I have worn it a couple of times. It’s just a plain medium-weight cotton that I bought from Boyes. I was really excited about this skirt pattern when I saw it and it went straight on my Amazon wish list. Finally I got it for my birthday (which was in October) and I only managed to make it in April. As you can see, I went for the short version. I think it’s a little too short for me really. I think the long version will be too long though. It’s also a little on the big side. I cut out a size 5. I don’t know what it is about Tilly patterns. If I cut a 4 it’s too small whereas a 5 is too big. I did try it on at an interim stage and I was concerned that it was coming out too small. I’m not really sure what happened there!
I went for the lined version and I love how neat and tidy it turned out. I just used some bog-standard acetate lining that I had in my stash and it’s lovely to wear.
Rather than machine hemming the skirt I chose to hem it by hand for a really neat finish.
I think I will make this skirt again (I always say that!) but I’ll make a few mods. I think I’ll make it in a stretch denim and size down. I’ll either make the long version or I’ll lengthen the short version. A denim version won’t need to be lined so it will be a much quicker make.
So those are my April makes. I was super productive in that month. I’m afraid I haven’t been quite so productive since then! However, I shall be back very shortly with my June Simple Sew make. There’s only one day left so I better get on with it!