I’ve been very naughty and I’ve been putting off writing this blog post because this make has been a disaster and turned into a bit of a weight around my neck. This blouse (you can get the Olive blouse here) started off really promisingly. It had all the makings of a nicely fitted blouse/shirt. However, I really managed to make a pig’s ear of it and it had me seriously questioning my sewing skills. Continue reading
Hi everyone! I think I must be the last of the Simple Sew bloggers to make anything from the Shannon collection of patterns, but I’m pleased to say that I’ve finally made the shorts as my starting point. You can get the pattern here.
I’m off on a cruise in the summer holidays so some sailor-style shorts were a must-make as far as I was concerned. Continue reading
After a little bit of a hiatus (a blogging one, not a sewing one), I’m back with my latest Simple Sew make. This is the utility dress – a relaxed dress with kimono sleeves, a bound v-neckline, a half-elasticated and half draw-string (draw-strung?) waistline, and of course, pockets!
This dress has been on my radar for a while and I was always a little slow when it came to picking this for my Simple Sew makes, as other bloggers always got there before me! Finally I nabbed it for March’s (ahem) sew! Continue reading
Hi there! I’m back again with my latest Simple Sew make – the Miranda t-shirt/cardigan hack.
The Miranda t-shirt pattern is available on the Simple Sew website here. For this make I was very kindly given some fabric by Doughty’s, specifically to make this project. It’s a lovely poly/viscose jersey (you can get it here) and its perfect for this make! Its slubby appearance is very forgiving on wonky stitching! Doughty’s also have this fabric in four other colour ways and I’m seriously tempted to buy some more! Continue reading
Hello! I know that we’re just into Autumn now but I’m here to show you my final make of the summer! This little blouse was made with a good week or so of summer left to spare…
Hello again! This month’s pattern is a bit of a blast from the past. With Autumn just around the corner I’ve chosen the Slouchy Gilet to whip up.
This pattern came free with an old issue of Love Sewing magazine. Perhaps you have it in your pattern stash? Well, I’ve been wanting to make this for ages. When I dug it out I remembered why I had procrastinated over it for so long – I really couldn’t get my head around the instructions.
I know it was a while agoDid you take part in Me Made May? I did, and one thing it taught me (apart from the fact that I have too many clothes) is that I reach for t-shirts more than any other garment. So when it was time for the Simple Sew bloggers to choose their patterns for this month I got in there quick as flash to choose the Miranda tee. This is a brand new pattern soon to be released into the wild so I was quite excited to try it out.
I cut out a size medium in some rubbish fabric to check the fit and was very pleased to find that it did. I had to make one change but it was a simple one. The pattern is very long so I shortened it.
To make this t-shirt I was given this gorgeous viscose jersey fabric from Doughty’s. I love stripey t-shirts and have made several of them. The pattern states that you need 1.5m of fabric but I can confirm you can get it out of less. I liked the fabric a lot so I wanted to conserve as much as I could. I’m glad I did this as my finished t-shirt is not exactly perfect as you shall soon see. A bit of practice though and I’ll have it nailed.
Obviously stripes need careful handling. Everything has to match! Well, it doesn’t really but I like it to.