This is my entry for the Monthly Stitch ‘Hack it’ comp. It got shortlisted so that’s exciting! Thank you to my Facebook friends for voting for me and if any of you blog readers would care to vote it would be very much appreciated (although I may have left it too late!).
Cleolly? Does that work? Anyway….when the Hack It challenge was first announced on the Monthly Stitch I originally thought that I would sit this one out. I do lack imagination when it comes to altering or combining patterns and I like to follow instructions more or less as the designer intended. However, my little subconscious mind was busy working in the background and came up with…. Continue reading
Yay, it’s that time of year again!
‘I, Corrine of http://www.applebymakes.wordpress.com (@corrineapplebymakes), sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’17. I endeavour to wear a minimum of one me-made or refashioned garment each day for the duration of May 2017,and for one day a week to wear an outfit consisting of a minimum of two home made garments’.
This is my third year of Me Made May and now I think that it will be quite straightforward to wear something Me Made every day. It’s the outfit bit I’m going to struggle with as most of my hand made bits and bobs don’t actually go with each other! Off to a good start though for this week… Continue reading
Hello everyone! For February I’m going to show you how to make the Colour Block dress and tunic. As this make needs to fill a gap in my wardrobe I’m going to be making the top version, but don’t worry, I’ll show you how to make the tunic version too!
So, apparently I don’t blog often enough. Which must be true because I have got a few projects that I’ve completed but never blogged about. Here’s the first one in an attempt to catch up.
At last year’s Harrogate woodworking show I bought some oak planks. I’ve used a little bit but I wanted to have a go at shaping a simple chopping board. Here it is:
I drew a simple template on paper, folding the paper in half to make sure it was symmetrical, marked the shape onto the wood, drilled the hole in the handle and then cut it out with a jigsaw.
Unfortunately, because I didn’t really have the correct blade in my jigsaw I got some bad scorching around the tight corners. I sanded a lot of it away but you can still see some. For this photo I propped it up using a bowl of thread trimmings, just so there is at least some evidence of sewing in this post.
I then decided to have a play with my pyrography kit by putting a picture in one corner. I printed it out in reverse on our laser printer and then used some heat from the pyrography pen to transfer it to the wood. Then I just traced over the design with a fine tip.
Finally, I gave the whole thing a coat of food safe mineral oil.
I must blog more often. I must blog more often. I must …
Yesterday was the day I have been eagerly awaiting for some time – the #yorkshirespoolettes meet up! This is the second meetup and I was lucky enough to be able to attend the first one as well. You can read about it here. Last time I bought the fabric with a plan and none of the fabric I bought then remains in my stash! I wonder how long this little lot will stay in my stash for! Continue reading
Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2016 has got off to a great start. 2015 was a very good year for me sewing wise. This time last year I made the following ‘resolutions’. Lets see how I got on!..
1. THE most important make of the year is a bridesmaid (OK, matron of honour but that makes me sound old) dress. I’m very lucky to be asked and I’ve got to make it myself! The color will (probably) be gold and I can choose the pattern! Exciting! Continue reading
You may (or may not) have noticed that I went quiet for a little while on my blog during October and November. This was because I was sewing some Christmas and birthday gifts and felt I wasn’t really in a position to share them all. The gifts have been received now so I can write about them…
First up…. I made some Christmas stockings for my friend and her family. Continue reading